Ayurveda tells us about three fine herbs that can give you super shining voluminous hair. These three ingredients are Reetha (Soapnut), Amla (Indian Gooseberry), and Shikakai (Acacia concinna). You know the benefits of amla for hair as you have gone through the previous remedy for thick hair which talks about amla oil. Reetha or soap-nut, as you may assume from its name, is a very good natural cleansing agent which eliminates any microbes present there in your scalp or hair. It also cures dandruff and nourishes your hair by bringing back its natural texture.
Shikakai, which literally means ‘fruit for hair’ maintains the pH level of your scalp and also retain its natural oils. It strengthens and conditions your hair in a way which gives a lots of volume to your hair.
Using these three herbs you can make a herbal shampoo at home to get thicker hair.
How to Make Reetha Amla Shikakai Herbal Shampoo at Home?
Reetha (dried)- 100 g
Amla (dried)- 100 g
Shikakai (dried)- 100g
Water- 2 liters
Hibiscus powder (optional)- 1 tsp (for conditioning if your hair is too dry)
- Place reetha, amla and shikakai in a bowl and mix them.
- Pour water over them.
- Let the mixture soak overnight.
- In the morning, you’ll find a dark colored water in the bowl with softened herbs.
- Mash the herbs with the help of a masher.
- While mashing, you’ll see some froth which is due to soapnut or reetha.
- After mashing the herbs in the water, boil the water with mashed herbs still in them.
- Now heat the mixture and bring it to a boil.
- Just as the mixture starts boiling, put off the flame.
- Let it cool down.
- Once it has cooled down, once again mash the herbs to take out all their goodness into the water.
- Now strain using a sieve or cloth.
- Store this shampoo, which is more liquid than the regular shampoos, in a bottle.
- Use the required amount to wash your hair and store the rest of it for next hair wash.
- If your hair is too dry, you may feel this shampoo a little rough on your hair. In such situation, use hibiscus powder as a conditioner. Mix this powder in some water to make a paste and apply on your hair. Leave for sometime and then wash off.